Meet José  

RSS
stuckinplastic
(@stuckinplastic)
Member Crew*

This week's SiPgoes52 word is "inspiration". So let's use that opportunity to be inspired by José who's our guest for this week's #FeatureFriday interview around a virtual cup of coffee. About José Hi! My name is José David. I’m just a Spanish guy in the middle of his 20’s (well, actually a little closer to…

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago 3 times by Boris
ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2018 1:00 pm
Boris
(@me2)
Member Crew*

Hi Josè,

Amazing journey. I am not sure where to start as this coffee talk touches on so many interesting points it feels like a four courses dinner :)

I jotted down some notes when I (re) read your post.

1. Chemistry and Scientists. I am not sure if there is something special to the LEGO brick, but it does feel it has a special attention point with scientists of all kinds. Something we need to keep a close eye on and maybe open a science corner in our forums to talk Avogrado, Newton, and Plank. Or maybe we should focus on this next year (sweet innocent smile). Just happy to have met another passionate toy photographer.

2. DSLR. I do think that getting a "real" camera still helps to become a better story teller. The best camera is the camera you have ready to use is for sure a true adagio, but taking the (intermediate) step of shooting with a DSLR helps on making the story more clear. Today the latest smart phones are producing amazing results with build in AI and smart focus and DOF. However look at the power you can unleash on such smart devices when you add your knowledge to it you picked up with a DSLR. I really think a smartphone is a good camera, but a DSLR helps you in your journey as a storyteller and makes you even take better picture with a "lesser" camera.

3. Please do share some of your LEGO Stop Motion movies here. I really would like to see them. Please do.

4. Sony Macro Style. Another so spot on remark. You liked the style of your Sony Macro and that is awesome. We all have to look for our own pencil that help us write our story at that time of our journey. Filters, cameras, gear, glass, all makeup of the language, that vocabulary we have in our bag. Remember that Sony moment. It is important to continue develop your own voice. Your own story telling.

5. Spirituality. I just love that image. It just blows me away.

6. Fresh. Words of wisdom. Fresh is in the eye of the viewer. We really should look at the total body of our work. Great work is timeless and has no experation date. One of our challenges we have today is that we are made to believe we live in a instant stream of fresh content. And while our audiences will remember when we repost an image 5 times, our body of work should be a continous inspiration for fresh work. It does not matter we clicked the shutter 5 years ago. Hmm. I feel a post upcoming.

7. I love POWER. That image is for me number one. It really speaks to me. It is ... very powerful.

8. Faith. Beautiful image. Yet, for me, 6 is soo much more powerful. So remember to keep these two angles in mind. Your audience may have a different taste :)

Thanks again for hanging out with us and sharing your work with us.

Sorry if I sounded like an old man, you just got me inspired to get lengthy.

Boris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2018 9:21 pm
Maëlick (aka Reiterlied)
(@reiterlied)
Member Crew

I'm also working in a "lab" in a university (but I don't wear a lab coat and my tools are mostly computers). I also started to take photography seriously when I got a DSLR. For me what blew my mind was the ability to frame a photo through a viewfinder and ignore the surrounding world. (Funny thing... I now mostly rely on my live view for toy photos.) And I was also watching LEGO stop motion movies on Youtube before discovering toy photography. But I've never tried stop motion myself though... I doubt I would have the patience it requires.

It's always fun to try different toys than LEGO. That said, I still come back to LEGO because they have something other toys don't have.

Oh and finally, I also used many old photos for SiPgoes52, sometimes even repositing photos I had already posted. I think it's fine. SiPgoes52 is not only about taking photos, but also about looking back and reflecting on our own journey.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2018 9:37 pm Boris liked
Boris
(@me2)
Member Crew*

I have to admit you were one of the mad scientists I was thinking of :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2018 10:06 pm
José David
 José David
(@José David)

Hi Boris,

Thanks a lot for your comments and notes. I'm gla
d you got inspired to get lengthy...it's always good to see how things are seen from another point of view.

1. I don't know if scientists are a major collective interested on LEGO...I can only tell for sure I am. I actually enjoy reading and talking about science, so if someday you feel like opening a corner for Avogadro and his friends I would be happy to join the discussion :)

2. At that moment, getting a DLSR camera meant to go a little bit further from the configuration limits my camera had. I've been always happy with my old Sony camera and as you have reminded me, specially with its macro mode (you can see science photos and the cookie guy from this post had been taken with it). Nevertheless, I wondered how it was to play with manual adjustments an trying new photography fields. It got me a lot of reading and thinking before I finally took the step forward...and I definitely don't regret it.

3. I don't know if I might have created so many expectations about my few stop-motions...you can find my steps on this field in this old youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/estonoesserio08

I have one or two more videos I didn't post at that moment...maybe I should find them and share so my small collection of stop-motions is complete.

4. I think I am getting back to that style even with new camera and materials...some months ago I bought some "macro" filters (not as good as a macro lens, but sure a lot cheaper). One curious handicap I had with my new DLSR at first was I couldn't take photos at very close distance due to my lens, so if I wanted to shot a close-up I had to take a broader pic and crop it later, and the final effect wasn't the same.

5. I'm glad I managed to transmit the feeling :)

6. I agree with you on that. Maybe trying to create new content with not much anticipation does usually lead to lack of time, inspiration or just not feeling in the mood to shoot something new. Probably it would be better to focus at the moments we really feel inspired or motivated to shoot, no matter which moment it is but being another brick to our total body of work.

7&8. I'll try to keep as many angles in mind as I can...so I can get to more and better images that really speak.

Thanks again for your comments, and thanks to all you for offering me this virtual coffe (although I also agree with you it better looks like a long long dinner) and letting me be a small part of all this wonderful community.

José

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 3:35 pm Boris liked
José David
 José David
(@José David)

Hi Maëlick,

I had the same feeling about shooting a DLSR from the viewpoint...I almost didn't use it in my old camera.

Regarding stop-motions...I didn't work too long on them but it really needs a lot of patience. And not only that but also thinking how much you should move the figure and scenery to fit the movement you have in mind with the final frame speed, plus the time spent in post-processing and adding visual effects to animations (I barely know anything about it, but I bet it takes a lot of time). I used to work with the old Windows Movie Maker and Camtasia Studio.

Definititely I will have a look at different toys for new photos...LEGO are the ones I have most, and the ones I feel closer to.

It is true that it's also a good point to see how we have changed from time ago. For #sipgoes52 I first felt I could take a photo per week, but sometimes I've found it quite hard. And I agree with you...looking at pictures from the past, you really see how you've changed over time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 4:05 pm
Share: