TLM2 - A quick snea...

TLM2 - A quick sneak peek  

RSS
Boris
(@me2)
Member Crew*

The LEGO Movie Two Minifigure Series has arrived. Officially in stores as of February 1st. Yet the internet is buzzing with shops that have put them on shelves and so maybe you are one of the lucky ones that got their hands on the new crew already. We got our review box from TLG on…

This topic was modified 3 months ago 3 times by Maëlick (aka Reiterlied)
This topic was modified 3 months ago by Boris
Posted : 23/01/2019 6:42 pm
Maëlick (aka Reiterlied)
(@reiterlied)
Member Crew

I really don't see where's the problem with angry faces. It's not because children play with angry toys that they will turn into angry people. I would even say it's a good thing kids have varied expressions for minifigs because it's not good to not express feelings. And I'm pretty convinced that toys are an excellent tool for catharsis ;-)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2019 7:21 pm
DavidGrafika
(@davidgrafika)

Maëlick, I'm sharing your point of view, and understand Boris' at the same time.

I think the angry face is part of the story: as far as we know, the boy of TLM1 see his life, and therefore his LEGO world, invaded by his little sister, which induce some anger in his heart. So, angry faces are an important part of "classic minifig heroes", when DUPLO and dolls are more naughty than angry.

It's a way for LEGO to take part in the education of children, on the emotions side. There are more and more children books about how to manage emotions, and teachers in primary schools use them more and more, as parents are more and more disengaged in the education of their children. There's a loss of the family, and lots of parents are now totaly relying on their children teachers for the things that our parents taught us as something absolutely normal.

kids nowaday are not limited by parents in their "bad emotions" and actions towards the others. Now, it's the job of teachers to educate them with respect and some self control.

so, angry faces are good, as it may help some kids to translate their feelings.

/my 2 cents.

p.s.: it' sur not an attack from the childfree I am against parents, it's an ascertainment from my girlfriend's job, as she's a primary school teacher, and from what I can observe around me. So, don't feel agressed, dear SIP parents. ;)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2019 8:28 pm
Boris
(@me2)
Member Crew*

I am not saying there is a problem. I was saying I am concerned. Maybe not just concerned with this set of twenty. More concerned with the world we are living in because toys are a reflection of our time and age we are living in.

The very first Minifigure heads were yellow with black line art, gender and race neutral and with a single kind of neutral happy emotion. We evolved to the very rich culture of faces we have today. Both in race, gender and emotions. From elves and droids, over a huge variety of colors to cover every emotion in the book, and I love it.

What I was trying to share is that when unpacking these twenty Minifigures it felt there was much more anger in this play then in the previous one. An anger that is for sure reflected in the world we are living in, yet a different anger as the good vs bad cop and thief, pirates and other teams as that is the role they play. An anger expression that is also reflected in the Apocalyptic build and theme of the apocalypse burg. Just take a look at Abe, Scratchen and Benny.

I agree wholeheartedly that kids don’t become a thief because they play robbery. Our imagination needs the ying and yang. Yet, when unboxing this set it felt to may there was more anger in this one than in the previous sets. Anyway, this was just one of many reflections, and I am sure there will be a lot of creativity with these. 

B.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2019 9:07 am
eatmybones
 eatmybones
(@eatmybones)

I never saw the Lego movie, so almost all minifigs are new to me and I have difficulties to find them "interesting".

BUT! The Wizard of Oz! There are SO cute!

Maybe I will plan to see the Lego movie soon, as a member of SiP :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2019 2:12 pm
DavidGrafika
(@davidgrafika)

Thanks for clarifications Boris.

Yes, there's a lot of anger here, and it's strange from TLG to show such quantity of this emotion, compared to the "everything is awesome" opus and overall intention of the toys manufacturer they are.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2019 8:05 am
DavidGrafika
(@davidgrafika)

Carton rouge pour toi Karine, TLM1 est à voir absolument!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2019 8:06 am
Share: